The Cloud Architect must be a subject matter expert on DevOps practices, AWS Architecture & Infrastructure, Automation, and Continuous Delivery and be able to coach and instil the AWS Well-Architected Framework values at all levels of the organisation.
The Cloud Architect works alongside the Solution Architect, the Security Coach, the DevOps Lead, and the Delivery Manager to embed a standardized approach for how the company's solutions leverage the AWS ecosystem. You will ultimately be responsible for the use of AWS. You will coordinate the BI team’s use of cloud tools, ensure good documentation is maintained, and strive for continuous improvement of the cloud architecture practices.
The Cloud Architect is accountable to the Chief Technology Officer and the BI Team for:
- Ensuring continuous improvement of AWS Cloud Architecture practices across the BI team to support the company's business development
- Ensuring the AWS Architecture is represented in an infrastructure-as-code format that can be automated
- Ensuring that all products and services delivered by the BI team can be reliably built to their standard of quality
- Ensuring a great experience whenever customers (internal or external) interact with the BI Team through any of their service channels.
The Cloud Architect will be:
- Promoting the benefits of AWS by identifying, quantifying, and communicating the business and customer benefits that well-architected AWS solutions deliver
- Establishing a practice of system ownership and accountability so that they can easily quantify the infrastructure cost of any one project
- Ensuring buy-in throughout the organisation through effective execution of non-authoritative leadership
- Supporting a learning culture where it is safe to fail, have the tough conversations required to learn from it, and improve as a result
- Designing and implementing strategies for the product teams to rapidly and autonomously deploy high-quality services to their customers
- Designing (and occasionally implementing) strategies to ensure high availability and scalability of production systems
- Ensuring all products and services are released with the customer experience in mind
- Ensuring their solutions followed observability best practices to enable proactive management and issue resolution
- Ensuring security is addressed throughout the system/service development lifecycle and is never an afterthought, by working closely with their Security Coach and embedding their recommendations early in the processes